This Cookies Policy applies to the Highland News and Media websites, (our “Sites”), which are operated by or on behalf of Highland News and Media Ltd Limited (“we”, “us”, “our”).
We want to ensure that you are aware of the information we store on your device(s), so that you can make informed choices using the information below.
1. What are Cookies?
A cookie is a small text file stored by your web browser on your computer or mobile device. Some cookies are essential for our Sites to work and help us provide you with relevant information. They also allow us to recognise your computer (but not specifically who is using it) when you access our Sites and to improve the usability and performance of our Sites.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Sites. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Sites, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Sites when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Sites work, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Sites. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our Sites, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our Sites and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. We undertake this activity on the basis of your consent, which we request on their behalf through the Consent Management Platform (‘CMP’) pop-up, which is displayed when you first visit our sites. This pop-up will reappear from time to time in case you change your mind, or when something changes (usually every 30 days). If at any time you wish to review your choices, you may do so by clicking the ‘Privacy’ button at the bottom of the page or from within the menu on mobile devices. Most of our third-party advertising partners operate within an industry framework and code of practice issued by the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) called the “Transparency and Consent Framework”, which sets out the technical means for your choices to be passed through the ad networks. It also requires that members adhere to IAB policies and standards of behaviour.
You can find more information about the individual non-Advertising cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the list below:
Strictly necessary cookies
Additional First Party Cookies Controlled by your consent
Analytics - Comscore
Purpose: Comscore provides Highland News and Media Ltd with analytical information about our visitors. Comscore collects data on the traffic and engagement for our sites. To opt out of ScoreCard Research cookies, visit www.scorecardresearch.com/OptOut.aspx.
Analytics - Chartbeat
Purpose: Chartbeat provides Highland News and Media Ltd with real-time analysis of our news content to help us tailor our content for the best experience. Details of cookies used by Chartbeat can be found here.
Analytics - IPSOS Dotmetrics
Purpose: IPSOS provides Highland News and Media Ltd with analytics for our website for national audience measurement. Details of how Dotmetrics collects and uses information, and how you can opt out from DotMetrics audience measurement can be found here.
Analytics - Parse.ly
Purpose: Parse.ly provides Highland News and Media Ltd with real-time analysis of our news content to help us tailor our content for the best experience. Details of how Parse.ly collects and uses information can be found here.
2. Do we use Third Party Cookies?
When you provide us with permission, we will share data collected through cookies and similar technologies on our websites with selected third party partners.
We provide detailed information on the identity of partners, including the data that they collect and what they use it for, within the relevant sections of our CMP.
For interest based advertising, you can also opt-out by visiting: https://youronlinechoices.eu/.
There is an AdChoice logo at the corner of every advertisement that carries behavioural targeting cookies; you can click on the link within this logo to control the settings that Google uses to display adverts (https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated)
3. Turning off and deleting Cookies
Below are some links to guidance for managing cookies in the most popular web browsers.
If you disable the cookies that we use this may impact your experience while on our Sites.
4. More Information
For more detailed information about cookies please visit www.allaboutcookies.org which provides guidance on how to control cookies.
5. Changes to this Policy
6. Contact us
Thank you for visiting our Sites.
This policy was last updated on 11.01.2024